Star Lounger
    Southern Highlands, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Can name of folder be a link?

Is it possible to have the name of a folder act as a link when you double click on it so that you actually go to a different folder? Let me explain. As a real estate agent, all the images I take are stored in a "Photos" folder with individual subfolders for each property. The subfolder has the address of the property as its name - eg 1 Smith Street. Now sometimes the property is much better known by a nickname - eg The Castle - and when looking for images, staff will look for a folder called "The Castle" and not "1 Smith Street". (They then come whingeing to me that they can't find the images! Sigh.) Is it possible to have two subfolders in the Photos folder, one with the name The Castle and the other with the name 1 Smith St (yes I know I can do that!) BUT the images are only stored in, say, the 1 Smith St folder and when you double click on The Castle folder it actually displays the 1 Smith St folder? If this can't be done, is there "something" I can put in The Castle folder indicating that the images are located in the 1 Smith St folder. Thanks for reading this, I hope it makes sense. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Cheers John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can name of folder be a link?

You could create a shortcut to the "1 Smith Street" folder, and name the shortcut "The Castle".

Thanks

See also <post#=329,621>post 329,621</post: >

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, Thanks for that. When I read your solution I thought, oh gees how easeeeeeeee! John.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mmmm, I like that one too. Thanks Leif

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's another idea for your photos. Many graphics programs , such as ACDSee and Adobe Photoshop Elements are coming with "photo organizer" tools that let you attach descriptive tags to image files. We are just starting to look at these programs for our images, so I can't ive any good recomendations yest. But it's something to look into

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Of all the "photo organizer" that I have seen, any use of the descriptive tags requires that same program be used. I would like to find on that will add the information in the Windows Properties, Title, Subject, Keyword and Comments. This would allow any program that uses or can use the Windows Properties to display or use the information.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The shortcut solution is the best. I have done it that way for a long time and it makes backing up a great deal easier as I have "My Music" and "My Videos" on a different drive and only the shortcuts in "My Documents".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That doesn't worry me as much as the multi-user features and scalability. The organizers that I have seen seem to be targeted at consumers. One computer, couple hundred megs of data. I have dozens of users and hundreds of Gigabytes of images.