New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost My Mail! caused by FusionOne?

OK, I'm pretty frustrated tonight. I know that nothing is perfect on the net, but I sure didn't expect this one!

I have downloaded the FusionOne client to my primary laptop (a Windows 2000 IBM ThinkPad) -- which is what I use reguarly for Outlook email (I have Office 2000). It has been about 12 days since I last synched with FusionOne -- just before I retired my last laptop. I transferred my files from the old laptop to the new one with an IR connection -- but don't recall which .pst I used/or where I got it from (I imagine I "exported" the data).

So, now I've foolishly added FusionOne to this new laptop and synched it up. After doing so, when I opened Outlook it said there was no data... after forcing the program to "OPEN" the .pst file, I've gotten a copy of my mail up to (you guessed it!), 12 days ago, when I last synched. What's happened to my mail!?

According to Outlook HELP, the standard location for your .pst file is in either of 2 locations.[C:Windowsprofiles<username>LocalSettingsApplicatio n DataMicrosoftOutlook on computers with multiple users, or C:WindowsLocalSettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook on computers with a single user] However, I cannot find these locations!

A search on the C drive for .pst files doesn't bring any up, and a search for files modified in the last day doesn't bring up a .pst file! How could I have lost this info, and yet not modified the file?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice! Unfortuanately, my server doesn't save mail for more than a couple of days, so unless I can recover this file, my mail would seem to be toast!

Thanks,
    -- Frank

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost My Mail! caused by FusionOne?

if outlook opens, you have a mail store somewhere. right click on outlook today icon and choose properties, then advanced. the location of the pst is listed there.

also, you may want to set explorer to show all files, tools > folder options. show all hidden files and folders. Now search again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mary, thanks for your advice.

It was so obvious to search for hidden files -- but I didn't think about it ;-)

However, I'm still missing my mail for the past 12 days. I suppose it's possible that Fusion One overwrote it -- and with their lousy tech support I'm sure I'll never find out how they choose what to replace.

It turns out there are 3 .pst files on my computer. Two are called backups, and the third looks to be the basic one. However, the basic one is the smallest at just 700k, while one of the backups is 28MB -- even at that, there's something odd as I believe I had at least twice that space being used for mail. Should I try to merge all 3 of these files? Is there a way to do it without creating duplication? I would appreciate any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    -- Frank

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no on merge - just use file > open to add them to your profile. file > close to remove them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've got a couple of problems with this approach... first the mail I have seems to have lost it's "archive" folder. I just have the inbox -- the file structure is gone. second, there are now 3 personal folders in my mail. one can apparently be deleted as it's empty. but the other two can't be searched as one -- and organizationally, it's a nightmare to not have one unified mail inbox.

And still I wonder... what happened to my mail! Those folks at FusionOne have a lot of explaining to do!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i meant to open them - once open, if you find the missing mail, manually copy it back in. if it's just old archived mail, close it.