Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query Criteria (2003)

I have a query with a field that gets its criteria from a combo box on a form. I want to be able to leave the combo box blank on the form and have the query ignore any criteria or choose one of the options from the combo box and have the query filtered by that selection. What is the best way to be able to do that? My current entry in the query field criteria is the following. =[Forms]![ERP Reports]![cmboGroupName] but if I leave the combo blank I don't get any data.

Thanks,

Kent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Criteria (2003)

Enter [Forms]![ERP Reports]![cmboGroupName] in the first empty colum in the query grid.
    Set the criteria for this new column to

[FieldName] Or Is Null

where FieldName is the field for which the criteria are.
    Remove the original criteria from this field.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I tried your suggestion but couldn't get it to work. My query has a field called Supplier_Group. Some records have data in this field others do not. If I leave the combo box on the form blank I would like all records to show in the query whether they have data in the field or not. If I choose a group name from my combo box I want only those records with that group name to show in the query. In trying what you suggested I either only got records that did not have data in the Supplier_Group field when I left the combo box blank, or I got zero records returned when I chose one of the group names from the combo box.

Appreciate you helping on this.

Kent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you removed the criteria you originally had for Supplier_Group? That's essential.
    You must enter [Forms]![ERP Reports]![cmboGroupName] in the Field row of an empty column, and set the criteria for this column to

[Supplier_Group] Or Is Null

An alternative is to leave the original criteria in place, but to change them to

[Forms]![ERP Reports]![cmboGroupName] Or [Supplier_Group] Is Null

Access will probably change the design when you save, close and reopen the query, that's to be expected.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! The first one actually did work after I changed the bound column to 2 instead of 1 on the combo box. The second scenario didn't work with putting [Forms]![ERP Reports]![cmboGroupName] Or [Supplier_Group] Is Null in place of the original criteria. It would bring up records with no data in the supplier_group field along with records with the specified group name from the combo box. If I left the combo box blank then it would only bring records that had no data in the supplier_group field. The first suggestion works perfect though!! Thanks again.

Kent