2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC--wrong version (Office 97 )

I installed Office 97 on a windows 98 computer yesterday and got an error message saying that my "ODBCINT.dll was a different version than the ODBC driver manager ODBC32.dll". It told me to reinstall the ODBC components or I might get errors.

Excel and PowerPoint seem to work fine, but Word always locks up as it is starting. Is this likely because of the ODBC problem or not? If so, how do I re-install those components? I don't ever recall installing these components in the first place, although the teacher who uses this computer may have done so. From Microsoft's support pages it seems as this is a separate installation routine--not something that would have come from an earlier installation of Office or Works, etc.

Thanks

Re: ODBC--wrong version (Office 97 )

Microsoft makes the latest database access components available from this page: Data Access and Storage Developer Center: MDAC. I'm not sure versions are compatible with Windows 98.

As for problems with Word startup, it seems unlikely that ODBC is the culprit unless you are starting up with a merge document or you have an add-in that does database stuff. Will Word start correctly if you do the following?

Start button, Run..., winword.exe /a <Enter>

If so, check out Phil's star post Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000) for more ideas on tracking down the problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ODBC--wrong version (Office 97 )

Thanks!! it was a corrupt data key in the registry. It works fine now.