Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

New Firefox release (1.0.7)

Firefox 1.0.7, a security update, has been released (at time of posting only the en-US version has been released).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Firefox release (1.0.7)

Thanks, as usual, Tony -- have you tried the 1.5 beta?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

The MozillaZine Firefox support board announcement reminds users of Norton-brand firewalls to reconfigure permissions after this update -- instructions here: How to configure Norton Internet Security (NIS) .

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, but every time I install a new version of Firefox I get a popup box from Norton which asks whether I want to allow Firefox access to the Internet?

And every time I give the obvious answer...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

I seldom use any of the Firefox 1.0.x series, instead I have been using the development builds of Firefox for the last 9-10 months, usually installing the latest version every day.

For an idea of the changes that will be in Firefox 1.5 see Firefox 1.5 Bug Report - MozillaZine Forums

Many of the changes are behind the scenes, including the latest version of the gecko rendering engine. Some of the noticeable changes include a complete re-write of the options UI, extension manager and theme manager. As a result of the changes all themes and many extensions need to be updated for them to work with Firefox 1.5, with many already updated to make them compatible. When Firefox 1.5 is first installed it checks themes and extensions, disables those it finds are not compatible and tries to find updated versions.

Profiles becoming corrupted has been one of the main causes for people having problems with Firefox. The changes to the extensions manager for instance make the handling of extensions far more robust which should reduce problems people have experienced before.

Another welcome change is the implementation of a binary update system. This will typically mean users only having to download a small file when installing a security update rather than the complete installation program.

If you decide to test Firefox 1.5 beta then I recommend creating a new profile. If you use a Firefox 1.0.x profile with Firefox 1.5 beta it will make changes to the profile that will probably make the profile no longer work with Firefox 1.0.x

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

FYI. A number of people seem to have lost extensions when upgrading. See the discussion at the Mozilla forums.