3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Task Bar (XP)

When my screen first displays after boot-up, I can select icons from my desktop and start programs. However if I try to select them from the task bar trays they take about 40 seconds to start. Also if I use keyboard shortcuts, like Command+E to open Explorer, it takes about 40 seconds. After that it's fine - any reason why this would be happening and how to resolve it?
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Task Bar (XP)

Which programs and processes are started automatically? Norton AntiVirus, for example, causes considerable delay during the startup period

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only way I know of to resolve it is patience - or eliminate stuff from loading. Not only Norton, as Hans has pointed out, but lots of other stuff that loads at startup will cause a delay in one's ability to "do stuff." I even notice that AFTER the nine items that appear in my tray are already there, a slight delay ensues while Windows continues to churn my hard drive. I don't know what processes it's completing, I just wait... (my long ago established "procedure" of retrieving a cup of coffee during morning bootup!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gents,
    The programs that start automatically are ZoneAlarm Pro, version:6.0.667.000, E-Trust anti virus and Spywareguard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't use either of those programs, perhaps Loungers who do can share their experience.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

For a more complete view of what is starting when you boot the system use this: Sysinternals Freeware - Autoruns. You may also want to check the configuration of each product to see what is set to be done at startup - some A/V and anti-spyware will do scans. Do you have any search tools (MSN search, Google desktop search, etc.) installed?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Note: since you mention in <post#=519,376>post 519,376</post: > that you have problems with ZoneAlarm, that may well be the culprit.