Lounger
    Thanks

Add Excel link to Explorer favorites (excel 2000)

I want to be able to send users a link that automatically puts an excel shortcut (from a share drive, lets say Q:sharedrviefile.xls) into their explorer favorites. Does anyone know how to create an html button that I can send via lotus notes to make the excel a shortcut?

Thanks

Re: Add Excel link to Explorer favorites (2000)

There is a VBscript method for adding a shortcut (check out WshShortcut Object). I probably would send the script and have the user execute it, adding the shortcut.

If you mean an Internet Explorer shortcut (.url type shortcut), the relevant scripting object is WshUrlShortcut.

The fact that you use Lotus Notes might be helpful, because in Outlook, shortcuts and .vbs script files would be blocked.

Does this help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add Excel link to Explorer favorites (excel 20

A few years ago I did this regularly. These days I don't have a network to try it on. I think the trick is to use the server's complete absolute address (no mapped drives - "Svr012mydirectoryexcelTheFileToLinkTo.xls") in the shortcut properties. That means you have to make a manual adjustment, unless some of these scripts will do that for you.

Errol