Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power User Trouble (XP Pro SP2)

Hello, I set up a power user account . I have email working which is good but some programs are not working, noticeably Dreamweaver. It just hangs at the splash screen. Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Power User Trouble (XP Pro SP2)

DreamWeaver isn't one of those wretched programs that needs to be run from an Administrator account, is it?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, John. According to this MIT page it is supposed to work under a limited user account. I hope I can get it to work as I actually go online using this program!.

Chris

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you install MacroMedia Dreamweaver under different user account, you need to reinstall it under new account. Some Registry settings created by program installer prevent you to run the program.

To avoid such problems, always install programs from Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Programs | CD or Floppy.

To fix your installation, make sure you have your Macromedia Installation CD with a key ready. Go to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs, then from Change or Remove Programs list select Macromedia Dreamweaver, click Change/Remove button and remove the program. Next click Add New Programs button on the left pane, insert your CD (holding Shift key on the keyboard to prevent Autorun), click CD or Floppy button and follow the wizard. (You can do it from Administrators or Power Users account, but not from Users account).

Thanks

Again (and I refer you to <!post=my post,514,414>my post<!/post> to which you did not respond) where is there any documentation for this "feature" (except in a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server environment) ???? You say "click CD or Floppy button and follow the wizard". What file on the CD runs when you do this?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I missed your previous post. I didn't found any documentation for this "feature", it is simply from my experience. Let's call it "undocumented feature". Since I started to install programs this way, my users never have any problems running them from their user accounts ("roaming accounts" on different computers).

When you are installing a program by "Install New Programs" wizard, it looks first at floppy and CD drives root for "Setup programs" - exe files contained the string "setup" or "install" in their filenames. You can reject such files by clicking "Browse" and navigate to any file you want. If your installation file does not have strings "setup" or "install" in its filename OR it is not msi file (with any filename), you must change default file type from "Setup Programs" to "Programs" (any executable files) or "All Files" to see them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately this method didn't work for me. After reinstalling Dreamweaver it not only hung in the Power User account but also in the Administrator account. I used system restore but it still wouldn't work. I think there may have been something else wrong. I've decided to give up on trying to use a limited user account.. I spent around four days trying to get it to work but I just felt the system was more unstable. For example, Counterspy kept giving me alerts every time I booted up whichever account I was in. I ended up resorting to using True Image and taking my whole system back to the time before I started trying to set up a limited user account. I know it is riskier using an administrator account but using a limited user account is elusive at this time. I may try again later, perhaps when the new Microsoft operating system makes it's appearance.

Chris

Thanks

With your method then, if the user is to discard a "setup.exe" or an "install.exe" or a "*****.msi" (which an autorun.inf file will point to), what file would the user choose?
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I didn't explain it clearly.

When "Run Installation Program" wizard started, first it looks for msi files or exe files with strings "setup" or "install" in the filename in the root of A: drive and in the root of CD drives (D:, E:, F:, etc.) If no such files is found, it shows blank "Open" dialog box left of "Browse" button. Then the user can type a full path and a filename of his installation file or click "Browse" button and navigate to his installation file. If his installation file is exe file without "setup" or "install" strings in its filename, the user must open "file of type" drop-down list and select "Programs" instead of "Setup Programs" (see attached picture).

Thanks

No, I understood what you were saying, and that is my whole point.
    <hr>When "Run Installation Program" wizard started, first it looks for msi files or exe files with strings "setup" or "install" in the filename<hr>
    And isn't that exactly what an autorun.inf file on an installation CD does? The only difference is that the autorun.inf file points to the correct setup file rather than the user having to select the file.

That is why I can't understand why your Control Panel method of installing software is any different than allowing the CD to install it automatically? In one case, the user must select and run the installation file, and in the other case the autorun.inf selects and runs the same file.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rebel,

It is not exactly so. Autorun.inf pointing to any exe file mentioned in its [ open ] section (often Startup.exe or, say, setupSetup.exe ), but "Run Installation Program" wizard does not "see" such files.

The other difference is that wizard "hides" from Setup HKCU key in the Registry (pointing it to HKLM instead) and Documents and Settings< user name > folder (pointing to Documents and SettingsAll users instead). In other words, the same file runs under different enveronment.

The idea is similar to Program Compatibility: Program Compatibility Wizard "pretends" that it is Windows95 machine and Run Installation Program Wizard "pretends" there is only one user on this machine.

Cah,

I tried to recreate your problem (installing Dreamweaver from the network folder on a clean WinXP machine under Administrator account and creating Power User account next) and I had no problem with it.

Something else causing your problem. Did you try to run chkdsk?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to test installing Dreamweaver. What do you mean by installing Dreamweaver from the network folder? Also what method did you use for creating the Power User Account? I think I should try again.

Best wishes,

Chris

Thanks

I'm sorry, but now you've got me totally confused.
    <hr>When "Run Installation Program" wizard started, first it looks for msi files or exe files with strings "setup" or "install" in the filename<hr>
    And then
    <hr>Autorun.inf pointing to any exe file mentioned in its [ open ] section (often Startup.exe or, say, setupSetup.exe ), but "Run Installation Program" wizard does not "see" such files<hr>
    So in your first statement , the "Run Inslallation Program" wizard looks for these files and in your next statement it doesn't "see such files". Which is it??? It can't be both !!!
    <hr>The other difference is that wizard "hides" from Setup HKCU key in the Registry (pointing it to HKLM instead) and Documents and Settings< user name > folder (pointing to Documents and SettingsAll users instead).<hr>
    And the documentation for this statement is where ???
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

"Installing from the network folder" means that entire Macromedia StudioMX Installation CD was copied to a separate folder on the server, and the server drive is mapped on testing computer (say, as drive S: ).
    After mapping the drive I opened My Computer and navigated to S:MacromediaStudioMXAutorun.exe, double-clicked it and result is the same if I would insert the CD into CD drive (Autorun.exe triggered "Install Studio MX 2004.exe" etc.)

Power User Account I created through Computer Management Console (from Administrator account, click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer management - I simply pressed Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously, typed COMPMGMT.MSC and hit Enter). Then on the left pane I navigated to Local Users and Groups | Users, right-clicked on the right pane and from pop-up menu selected New User. I gave new user account a name, clicked Create button and closed the New User window. After creating an account, I right-clicked it, from pop-up menu selected Properties, on the Properties dialog clicked Member Of tab, then Add button, on Select Groups window clicked Advanced button, on the next window Find Now button, then selected Power Users on the bottom part and clicked OK button. Back on User Account Properties window I selected Users group and clicked Remove button (so new account is a member of Power Users only). Then I closed all windows, clicked Start | Shut Down and selected Log Off Administrator. Next I logon as a new user.

Instead of right-clicking in Computer Management console you can use Action menu (Action | New User, and after selecting an account on the right pane, Action | Properties).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rebel,

"Run Installation Program" wizard does not see files named Start.exe, Autorun.exe and so on on the root of CD. It does not see Setup.exe also if it is not on the root of CD (but in the Setup folder, for example).

Autorun.inf can triggered any exe file that is mentioned in its [ open ] section, for exampe
    open=Folder1Folder2Folder3whoa.exe

As I said, it is undocumented feature. Take a clean computer, install Microsoft Office both ways and compare Registry settings (before running any Office applications, of course).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast