3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sent Folder (outlook 2000)

The default location for mail that is sent is the Sent folder. This can be changed via the option menu and browsing. This takes too many mouse clicks and searching for the appropriate folder.

Is there a method of having it automatically go to a folder based upon the Adressee or subject? For example, if I have a folder created to store copies of emails to say Bill Brown I would like the sent email go directly to the Bill Brown folder rather than the Sent folder.

I expect that it might be possible through vba, but I have no idea of how to do it.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sent Folder (outlook 2000)

You should be able to do this through Rules; create a Rule such as:

Apply this Rule after I send the message sent to <font color=blue>Bill Brown</font color=blue> move a copy to the <font color=blue>Brown Industries</font color=blue> folder.

or

Apply this Rule after I send the message with <font color=blue>'Brown Ind. Bankruptcy' or 'Brown Industries Bankruptcy'</font color=blue> in the subject move a copy to the <font color=blue>Brown Industries</font color=blue> folder.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am aware that this can be done by a rule, but you would have to create countless number of rules, one for each client. What I would like to be able to do is have some code that would look in the To field and then automatically store the email based upon the name that is showing.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can do it through VBA in Outlook 2000 using the Application_ItemSend event, created under the ThisOutlookSession Object in the Outlook VBE; and VBA will give you a more flexbility in search strings. But your code will have at least as many lines as the number of Rules you would have to create, and I personally think that Rules are easier to maintain.

There are a number of examples of the Application_ItemSend event in this Forum,. and Loungers will be happy to help you with the VBA code.

Another option is aftermarket solutions - Slipstick has a utilities Index at http://www.slipstick.com/addins/index.htm.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Perhaps a generic way to do this is to designate a field in the Contact record to store the name of the recipient's folder. Then a generic routine could look at the address, find the matching contact record, look up the field, and move the message.

I'm actually not sure there is a reliable way to search Contacts by email address, so the alternative would be to build your own database. The most extensible approach would be to create a new toolbar with a few different controls. The first would be a button to process the current folder. The second would be a customized "Move selected message(s)" button that adds the selection to a database so that in the future one button click would be enough. This wouldn't be "real-time," but doing it in bulk might be sufficiently time efficient. The Item_Send event could share the database built by this toolbar.

You'd think there already must be an add-in that does this...