Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player 10 (XP SP2)

I down loaded Windows Media Player 10 some time ago, installed it and it seemed to work. Recently I tried using it and I received a message that it was not installed. I checked the program list and it says it is installed (but the file size is zero). I tried to reinstall and everything seems to work until I get to the the end when I get the message 'Windows Media Player was not installed. To Update Windows run Media Player again. Of course I try that and it still doesn't work. I have tried removing Windows Media Player 10 but that doesn't seem to work either.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Windows Media Player 10 (XP SP2)

Hi welcome to the lounge. There may be some hints at Windows Media Player 10 Download and Install Help and Tips or WMP Mini-FAQ.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the directions. I looked at both sites and tried a few things they suggested but I still can't seem to get WMP working. I uninstalled WP10 (or at least I think I did) and tried to reinstall it but I get the message that my version of the operating system does not support WMP10. I have even tried to install WMP 9 but get the same message. Should I try reinstalling XP? Any other hints that I might try?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...I uninstalled WP10 (or at least I think I did)... <hr>
    Just to double check, you did the un-install from the Windows Components screen, didn't you?

Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,

Thanks for the reply.

I unintalled WMP10 from the Add/Remove Programs (with the Show Updates checked). It was listed there. I gather WMP is actually an XP upgrade and not just a program add on. After uninstalling it I looked and it was not on the list.

In looking at Add/Remove Windows components, WMP is there (although it doesn't refer to a version number). It shows zero in terms of size and the check box seems to indicate that this only adds or removes WMP from the start menu.

So I think it is gone.

Now when I try to reinstall either WMP10 or WMP9 I get the message that the program is incompatible with my version of the operating system.

Thanks.

Thanks.