2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Behavior change (2002 SP3)

Using Excel 2002 (10.6501.6735) SP3:

I have a complex spreadsheet on which I don't want a lot of zeros displayed if there isn't a meaningful number. At the same time I want an indication that there is a formula in the cell. When I originally built the spreadsheet the technique I used was as follows:

A1: =IF(B1>0,A2*B1,"-")
    A2: 1
    A3: A1+A2

If B1 is zero then A1 would show "-" and A3 would show "1". However, now if B1 is zero then A1 still shows "-" but A3 shows "#VALUE!".

I believe that this is a "feature" of SP3 because if I put these formulas on an old worksheet, it still works as before. The error only occurs on new worksheets.

Can anyone confirm that this is SP3 behavior and if so, is there some way to recover the old functionality?

TIA
    Donald

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Behavior change (2002 SP3)

Trying to add a text value and a number using + has always resulted in an error, in all versions of Excel. I don't understand how it could have worked without an error in your older worksheets.
    If you use SUM instead of +, text values will be ignored, so you could use =SUM(A1:A2) instead of =A1+A2.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Most likely the dash was being treated as minus zero and is now being treated as a text value which causes the error.

Try changing A3 to:

=SUM(A1,A2)
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Another option is to let it be zero and format the cells (via format - cells) to display the dash (or whatever you want). The advantage of the custom format is that cell has the value of zero so calculations will still work with it, but it will be "displayed" as something else.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could always conditionally format the cell to be white ink on a white background if the value is zero.

Thanks

If you wanted to hide them completely (white on white) then you could use Tools - options- view (tab) and uncheck "zero values". This will even hide them if the background is not white and you are printing.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.
    Hans: I've got living, breathing proof that it works - and has worked for years. Must have been something I got away with by luck all this time.

My example is a vastly simplified example of the behavior. Due to the nature of the actual spreadsheet I'm not sure that using SUM would be practical, but will give it a try. Since I'm having to do a lot of work on the sheet anyway, I may go with the custom formatting option.

Thanks again.
    Donald

Thanks

One warning about custom formatting vs an IF with a text value:

If you have a 1 and a text "-" it will average to be 1 (the text is not a number and is ignored). If you use the custom format to display the zero as a "-", you will have a 1 and a 0 so the average will be 0.5. Even though it displays as a "-" it has a value of 0. it is a number so it will not be ignored in averages.

If you are just using SUMs it will not matter (zero or ignored are the same sum) it will make a difference in other stats.

Steve