Thread: desktop

Lounger
    Thanks

desktop

I apologize in advance if the question is overly simplistic, but I am a h/w guy.
    Does anybody know how (and where) to save the structure (or, call it arrangement or location) of icons one sets in the desktop?
    More than once it happens that because any unforeseen cause (computer crash, etc.)upon restoring power the desktop is completely "messed up".
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: desktop

By 'messed up' I guess you mean that the locations of the icons change after the crash.

Have you set the desktop so as to 'Auto Arrange' the icons? Find a vacant spot on the desktop, right click the mouse, find 'Arrange Icons', go to the bottom of the menu and click on 'Auto Arrange' so that it is ticked.

Hopefully, if you have a problem in the future then the icons will stay stuck. (With 'Auto Arrange' selected you can still change the relative positions of icons, but they will always be lined up in an orderly set of rows and columns).

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Go to
    http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/sw...ml?fcode=000OCS

and download tidy95. This is a great utility & works in Win98. I've used it for years & would have thrown my computer out the window many times, had it not been for this program. You can save multiple configurations of desktop icons at different resolutions & restore them at will.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded Wintidy 95, and will try it tomorrow.
    Thanks a lot for your replies.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]