Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Fax with No Landline (IE6; Windows XP SP2)

Hope this is the right forum for this. If not, please move me to where I should be! The

Thanks

Re: Fax with No Landline (IE6; Windows XP SP2)

I'm not sure about which is the best forum, I suspect this isn't it though!

How are you intending to receive faxes? By PC or 'traditional' fax machine?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, rats, Leif. I forgot: we have always received faxes using an HP All-in-One connected to the landline. That's why I was concerned about a fax number with no landline!

Linda

Thanks

If you aren't going to have a new phone line installed for the fax machine, you can use a service such as eFax (see How it Works).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Good to hear from you again jscher in a new forum (for me). You help everywhere. Thanks. Just checked in with efax and got all their information. The basic answer - I think - is that you can NOT have a fax number without a landline unless you set up something like efax. Am I correct?

Linda

Thanks

You definitely need something to answer a phone call in order to receive a fax, either a fax machine or a computer masquerading as a fax machine. While it might be possible to receive a fax by cell phone, I'm not aware of any devices like that.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Got it. So will need to make a decision as to the better temporary solution for us: install a landline and do things the way we traditionally have or try cable Internet, but use a service such as efax (or, even better. convince our customers to use email and attachments instead of faxes!)

Thanks for your help, especially since I realize this topic is a bit "off" the theme of Woody's Lounge!!

Linda

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Irene,

This may sound a bit vague to you and it actually is, but here in Holland, there are ISPs that can provide you with a virtual tel number to where people can send their faxes. The ISP convert these automatically (and sometimes gratis) on the fly to an attachment and drops it in your standard email inbox.

Maybe your provider has a similar service.

Regards, Teunis

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Teunis,

That sounds similar to the efax jscher mentioned. It would be great if my ISP provided the service, however, as efax does charge for it, if you want to receive as well as send faxes. I will call my new ISP and look into it. I appreciate the suggestion (and am impressed with your English facility!)

Linda

P.S. A question for anyone who's been helping based on the first reply in the thread: can I send and receive faxes using just the PC and, if so, would a recipient be able to receive it to a fax machine? Would I even need a fax number then? Sorry to be asking such basic questions, but I've just never got into this before.

Thanks

Fax software allows you to use your PC for sending and receiving faxes exactly like a manual fax, except that you don't physically need the pieces of paper.

To send a fax, you would 'print' to it from Word, for example, by selecting it as a printer in your File > Print... dialog.

Depending on the fax software you use, incoming faxes may appear as pdf attachments in emails, or be viewable in the GUI of the software in question. They would always be stored on the HD somewhere for viewing again later (unless you set up the software to print it then delete it).

Normally, using a landline, you would have a modem and as far as the sender of a fax to you is concerned, they would not know whether you had a standard fax machine or a PC receiving it. When sending a fax, you would typically send it to a fax number, and equally, it should not matter to you what equipment they have at the 'end of the line' as long as it acts and responds like a fax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (8.4 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

>> Would I even need a fax number then?

Sorry - I missed that bit.

You do need a number for others to fax to. With a landline, you don't need a separate fax number (a separate fax line) to send or receive faxes - it can be the same as your normal 'speech' line. If you intend to use a mobile telephone as your fax, your service provider would (in this country anyway) normally give you a separate 'fax or data' telephone number at no extra charge. You would, of course, need to keep the mobile attached to the PC at all times if you wanted to use it to receive faxes.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gifmeister, aka Leif,

Wow! Thank you so much for your detailed, thorough and totally understandable reply. I'm going to do some testing to see if I can send and receive faxes on this laptop using your PC method. I remember being able to do so on our former PC with our former HP All-in-One, but don't know if it works on this one. From your description, it's a computer software capability rather than a printer one, so it should work.

We'll obtain a fax number in one of the 2 ways you suggested. I like the cell phone idea if we don't have a landline, especially since we don't receive many faxes and could just "hook up" if a client says one is coming!

Again, thank you so much. How you technically knowledgeable Loungers have such patience with us neophytes, I don't know, but do I ever appreciate it - and all of you!

Linda