Star Lounger
    Thanks

Get from table. (Excel)

I have two worksheets one is a table holding peoples info and the other worksheet is a fill in type.

I have developed a macro which uses cells that are named and use offset, match, index functions.

the problem is this thing I made is sloppy, and not doing what I want.

I first envisioned having a drop down combo box. the user could then type the starting letters and the combo box would find a match. I could not get this to work though, so I had to goto a form listbox.

I am looking for a way to use a (combo box) instead of the list box . Also Right now I think I have done too much work for what I need and though someone else might know a simpilar way.
    Any Ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Get from table. (Excel)

It looks like you have 1) Table (database) with data
    2) an entry form for new data (green cells)
    3) a combobox ---what do you want to do with this? I appears that you have is set up to
    VIEW exiting records in your db. If so, this function is unrelated to data entry.

Do you need a macro to transfer the entry-form data to the db? or are you looking
    for a way to use the combobox as a data entry form?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that you need any code, just Data Validation and VLOOKUP. Does the attached worksheet do what you want?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes, thats sort of the idea I am after. But sometimes the name is not in my DB. so it must be added manually. The data validation box doesnt allow you to type in it, but the combo box does.

I am looking for a way to quickly fill in customer information. Some customers are repeats so it makes sense to store them in a DB so the next time they show up, its easy to add them.

But in some cases the customer has not been added to the DB so I will have to just type their info in manually. The DB is updated by a macro which looks in a Contacts folder in Outlook, so if I want to update the database with customer info, they will need to be added to the outlook contact list instead.

So, the idea I am chasing is to have some kind of automation fillin if a lookup reconizes a match in the DB. if not the I can fill it in manually.

My current one seems to not be forgiving so I am trying to figure a different routine and thought maybe a comboBox was a good idea to acheive what I am after.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul, I am looking for the combo box as being a way to fill in the green cells. The unique key here would be Customers Name so those would be stored in the combo box.
    when I type in the combo box "A", the list in the combo box goes to the first A entry in the list, as I type more chars, the list narrows down to a match. I can then scroll through the list to find a match, If I cant then the name will have to be added manually, and the dataBase wont be updated with the new name.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, in that case, I would keep the Data Validation, but turn off the error message. Then I would move the VLOOKUP to the Worksheet Change event:
    <pre>Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Address <> "$B$3" Then Exit Sub
    Dim c As Range
    For Each c In Range("B4:B11")
    c = Application.Evaluate( _
    "IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($B$3,CustInfo," & c.Row - 1 & ",FALSE))" & _
    ","""",VLOOKUP($B$3,CustInfo," & c.Row - 1 & ",FALSE))")
    Next c
    End Sub
    </pre>

See attached worksheet for the rewrite. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    Is there a way to update CustInfo,

I ask because I have a macro behind a button.
    When the button is click the macro updates the sheet from a contact list in outlook, so the data in Table changes.
    so the range CustInfo would need to be dynamic making its range selection the same size as the last Customename , growing or subtracting in rows depending on what the update bring in.

Thanks

If you are using VB to import the range, you could add code like this to set the range based on how many items are in column A:

<pre>With Worksheets("Table")
    .Range(.Range("J1"), .Range("A65536").End(xlUp)).Name = "CustInfo"
    End With</pre>

Steve