3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Cleanup-How often? (XP/Pro/2002/SP2)

Can anyone tell me how often it is advisable to run disk cleanup? I do it once a week, that way it doesn't take so long when it does it. It seems like it keeps my computer running faster that way. I used to defrag once a week also, but someone told me that wasn't wise. Any advice?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk Cleanup-How often? (XP/Pro/2002/SP2)

I'll start with your second question. I use Raxco Software Windows Products - PerfectDisk 7.0 as my defrag program and I have it set to run overnight, every night. I don't think that's "harmful" to the hardware and it usually only takes a short time to do the run.

As for disk cleanup, I do mine manually, once each week prior to running a backup image of my partitions. That is, I empty my recycle bin, browser cache and any other "junk" I think I may have piled up including .tmp files. I then run a CHKDSK on all partitions prior to backing up. This little procedure has served me well over time, but you'll get other differing opinions and you just have to decide what you feel comfortable with. DOING the cleanup is what's important. Unfortunately some folks never do it until.... Well, you know.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I don't know enough about computers to know really what is harmful or not. When I had Windows 98 I ran Disk Cleanup and Defrag on the Task Scheduler. I occasionally run CHKDSK also. I think I'll continue on the way I've been doing it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

BigAl has it right. The most important thing is that you do the cleanup on a regular schedule. If you are comfortable with what you've been doing so far and your PC is running well stick with it.

Joe
    Joe