Thread: HDD DVD Clone

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HDD DVD Clone

Hi,
    Are any of you aware of a PC app that will create a simulated DVD drive on my HDD?
    I am attempting to create a slide show with ProShow, burn it to DVD & watch it on a TV - have successfully done this several times B4.
    But with my current project I now have a set of 4 DVD coasters & not sure of reason. Have tried both burning to ISO 1st & direct.
    An app that will allow me to burn to a "pretend" DVD drive on my HDD would be helpful as I could create a temp show & see if I can fault find without wasting disks.
    A freebie or trial copy of the app would be preferable initially to see if my theory works.

Thanks
    Neville

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HDD DVD Clone

I use Virtual CD to create virtual CD's and DVD's. I have been using it for many years and always buy their upgrades because it has been a reliable and functional product.

You can download a 30 day trial from their web site.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

This looks like a very interesting product but I am curious how you use it other than Neville's type of projects? For one use, it looks like a way to store operating system disks or program disks on an external hard drive for safe keeping? Can new disks then be burned from the "virtual disk" if it were necessary? I guess I am just trying to figure out ways this could be used in the home. Perhaps I should go read their support site and see if it offers any ideas. But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Skitterbug,

I have a server on my network with a very big hard drive. Whenever I buy a CD or DVD I make a virtual copy on the server and then store the real disk in a safe place. Each of my PCs has a number of Virtual CD/DVD drives (usually 6 of them) on which I mount the server based images. These look like read CDs or DVDs to any software that wants to access them.

The advantages are:
    <UL><LI>I can mount and dismount CDs without risking losing or damaging the media
    <LI>I can use all my CDs from any computer in the house without having to go search for them
    <LI>I can have lots of CDs mounted at the same time
    <LI>I can burn another copy of a CD if I lose the original[/list]and probably many more that I can't think of at the moment.

StuartR