Lounger
    Thanks

table text properties (2002 sp2)

I'm having this problem with a template containing a number of tables where the text in a cell will have its style properties overridden by the style properties some evil genius seems to be giving to the little circles (reveal codes) at the end of each row. eg i will nominate cell text as table text left. next time i open the template the text retains the style table text left, but now assumes completely different properties in keeping with the properties of the little gizmo at the end of the row. i tried to change the properties of said gizmo - but it won't let me. the only option i have is to delete the style - which if the style happens to be legitimately in use is not an acceptable solution. does anyone know how to kill or adjust the properties of these row gizmos and also why this is happening?
    thanks

Thanks

Re: table text properties (2002 sp2)

Each cell in a Word table has an "end-of-cell" marker which is like an end-of-paragraph marker in other portions of a Word document. It hold the "paragraph formatting" for the text immediately preceding it.

I'm not really sure what is happening in your document. There are some "automatic update" features with respect to template-based styles, but I don't use them.

Could you post a sample that illustrates the formatting conflict? (Delete anything confidential.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect that this problem is due to Table Styles which can override some of the Paragraph and Character style attributes.

Try applying a different Table Style to the tables and see if you gain control over these attributes.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks, here is a sample table - first cell has table text left para style, second cell has table text centre para style then the gizmo outside the table has normal style. in other cases i will reopen the template and a completely different style will have attached itself, ie table bullet style and then all the text wwithin the table although retaining the allocated para style will default to the attributes of the table bullet style.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that Tools/Templates & add-ins/Automatically update document styles is UNchecked. Also, make sure that under each of these styles (Format/Styles & Formatting), under Modify for each style, that you DON'T have Automatically update checked. These two settings will frequently change your styles, which is something that you don't want.
    Cheers,