2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sort Start Menu (WinXP SP2 (domain member))

Ok, we're talking Windows XP SP2 on a Windows 2003 domain. Windows XP is locked down by Group Policy; in particular, the Start Menu is locked so that drag and drop is prevented, right clicking prevented - basically any changes are prevented. The only downside of this is that the "All Programs" menu can't be sorted by name (i.e. by right clicking on it and selecting the menu option given on an unlocked XP installation). This makes the "All Programs" menu really messy and it is driving my users mad. However, on the flip side, we don't get problems with users changing the Start Menu, deleting shortcuts and adding new ones.

I've found some registry hacks on the web that refer to this problem, not specifically in relation to Group Policy lockdown, but sorting the "All Programs" menu yes. They refer to the following registry entry...

HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer MenuOrderStartMenu2

Apparently, if you delete this Key the "All Programs" menu order resets to alphabetical on next logoff/logon.

I found this key on a PC in our test lab, deleted it via a logon script (reg delete HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer MenuOrderStartMenu2 /f) and it worked just fine. Great! Added the code to all my logon scripts and now its not working?

It would appear that not all our XP SP2 PC's have this key present - I can find the key in...

HKU{lotsof numbers}SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExpl orerMenuOrderStartMenu2

but there is no way I can code that sort of string for each user on the domain.

Does anyone else have this problem, have a workaround, or know why the StartMenu2 key is no in HKCU - but is in HKU?

TIA,

Thanks

Re: Sort Start Menu (WinXP SP2 (domain member))

Anything of use here?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sort Start Menu (WinXP SP2 (domain member))

Yep, its given me a solution...have added these two lines in the logon script:

reg delete "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplore rMenuOrder" /f
    reg add "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplore rMenuOrder" /f

Tested OK, now rolling out across the domain!

Many thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,