3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting Flags for Follow-Up (Outlook 2000 Internet Version 9.0.0.2711)

Help for setting up flags for follow-up seems only to discuss changing the date in the "Due by" box, even though I can click in and edit the time that is displayed. The time displays to 5:00 PM as a default.
    - Does the Outlook flag feature actually work? I don't get a pop-up reminder or anything.
    - Does the Outlook flag feature actually work if I set the time of day to other than 5:00 PM? Why would the system force me to only get flagged messages at 5 pm?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting Flags for Follow-Up (Outlook 2000 Internet Version 9.0.0.2711)

I would like to use different time-of-day settings to flag the messages. A default would standardize to some time other than 5 PM. but would not allow for individual settings by message.

So it sounds like you would recommend just dragging the message in to my calendar and setting an Appointment individually, where I can be more precise (I use 1/2-hour increments with a 15-minute reminder).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The Flag capabilities were improved in later versions for some of the reasons you describe - see the graphic of an Outlook 2003 Flag Dialog. Try leaving a Flagged Item with a Due date & Time in a Default Folder and see if it triggers - Reminders only work in Default Folders. (See also Ken Slovaks' Extended Reminders add-in.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have flagged items that you want to trigger and which are NOT stored in Default Dolders, then yes, within native Outlook the Calendar is the way to go. If you wanted to use flags in Outlook 2000 with more precision, you could create you own flag dialog like the Outlook 2003 dialog graphic posted above, you'd need to create a simple Userform, and some of the code would be (where the IInputbox lines would be replaced by Userform Textboxes):

Sub setflagdue()
    Dim strDateTime As String

If Inspectors.Count Then
    With ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    .FlagStatus = olFlagMarked
    .FlagRequest = InputBox(Prompt:="Flag Action Required", Title:="Set Flag")
    strDateTime = InputBox(Prompt:="Set Date and Time Due", Title:="Set Flag")
    If IsDate(strDateTime) Then .FlagDueBy = CDate(strDateTime)
    End With
    End If
    End Sub
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd love to give that a try since it would not require cluttering up my calendar with assignments that are not really events like meetings. But Help does not even show anything beyond "user" and "Create Userform" also isn't Helpful (Create a Macro also does not show any results like Userform).

Perhaps I should just try dropping the messages into Tasks and set time for reminders. Can I adjust the default increments in time of day reminders from 30 to 15 minutes?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 29-Sep-05 13:21. Time interval note.)</P>Agreed, Tasks would also be a good way to create reminders without cluttering your Calendar.

Edit - in testing on Outlook 2003, it appears that the default time intervals for both Flags and Tasks are hardcoded at 30 minutes.

Here and here are two primers on userforms, if you want to learn more about building and coding them. Basically, each userform has code associated with it - you design the form layout, using the Forms Toolbar, then build the code associated with clicking or entering in each field. (A rather messy Outlook example can be found in <post#=443421>post 443421</post#>.)
    UTC -7ąDS