3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to open attachment (Office 2003)

I have received a few message that are sent to my supervisor with an attachment. When he gets the original message he is able to open the attachements. On the last two messages he forwarded them to me I was unalbe to open the attachments. These are internal messages. The attachements were a Word document and and Excel document.

I get the following error: "Operation failed. An object could not be found"

Do we have a setting wrong or is it something else?

Thanks

Re: Unable to open attachment (Office 2003)

First, see whether the problem is likely to be with Outlook, Windows, or the Office application.

Use File>Save Attachments or right-click>Save As to save the files to disk. If you can double-click to open them from there, then it probably is an Outlook problem. If you get an error, it could be a Windows (File Types) configuration problem or an Office problem. If you get different results depending on whether the target application (Word or Excel) is closed or already open, open/inactive vs. open/dialog active, then we have application issues.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Last week we had a message that was sent to our Dept. Manager with an attachment. After he looked it over, it was forward to me. I was not able to open the attachment. I just saved the file to my c: drive. I went to the file location and couple-clicked on it and it opened in MS Word. The icon fo the file was an unopned yellow envelop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

THis happens about 2-3 times a month and then to a random user.

Thank you

Thanks

It was a yellow envelope in Outlook (meaning OL recognized it as a message item) or in the file system (suggesting that Windows recognized it as a .MSG or .EML file)? Maybe it was a case of "one-time" corruption, or is it consistent?

Added: I'd be curious to see how the message is being forwarded. I don't use Word as my mail editor, so if the message is being forwarded from inside Word, attachments might behave differently somehow.