2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links & Insertions (2000)

My worksheet starts with a list of employee data. Later sheets link back (Edit, Paste Special, Link) with selected columns.
    I link so revisions will reflect globally. However, if I insert a new row, other sheets don't show this.
    I may want to link to the first sheet from other worksheets. Is there a better approach in Excel?

Thanks

Re: Links & Insertions (2000)

If you link with cells, and you insert rows or columns the links will "adjust" so they are pointing to the same cell you linked (this is by design).

If you don't want this you can use an indirect funtion to link to a sheet with the same cell reference:
    Enter this in A1 and copy it to whatever cell reference get from "sheet1" (change the name as appropriate)
    =INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!"&CELL("address",A1))

This formula will always link to the relative cell, even if rows/columns are inserted/deleted

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting a row in my source, Sheet 1, does not give me another row on sheets that link back.

Thanks

And they won't unless you use macros (which then negates the need to use formulas, you could just copy the cells.)

You would need to extend the range of "linked cells" as far down as you anticipate sheet1 to grow.

If you want the "hide" the blank cells, you could use something like this:
    =if(isblank(INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!"&CELL("address",A1 ))),"",INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!"&CELL("address",A1)))

Steve