Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

GHO file extension

Before I get too carried away with this part of my project.

I have been provided with a Ghost image of an operating system and set up. The file has a GHO file extension. Is a file with a GHO file extension executable in DOS?
    Jerry

Thanks

Re: GHO file extension

Jerry,
    Sorry but I don't think DOS will execute those files. They are Norton Ghost extensions and you would need Ghost to do anything with them.

===========================
    Ghost image files are limited to legacy versions of DOS's maximum file size of 2GB. For a partition larger than 2 GB, Ghost splits the image file into two or more smaller files called segments or spans, so that each is 2GB or smaller. Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition and later, and Norton Ghost 2001 and later use this naming convention: FILENAME.GHO for the first file and FILENAME###.GHS for the remaining where ### starts at 001 and increments. The FILENAME might also be shortened to stay within the DOS 8.3 file naming format. Versions prior to Ghost 6.5 use the FILENAME.GHO for the first file and FILENAME.### (starting at 001) as following files
    ============================
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: GHO file extension

As Viking said, GHO file is compressed image file (second, third, etc parts of the image have GHS extension), so it is not executable. To create and restore these image files you need GHOST.EXE stand-alone program, which can run within DOS. You can find GHOST.EXE in your GHOST Folder (if you have Symantec Ghost installed). WARNING: Ghost Image Files (.GHO) are not backward-compatible, that means, you must use the same or higher version of GHOST.EXE to restore GHO files.