3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SYSTEM account (SP2)

I can't find a description of the SYSTEM account/group anywhere - how membership is determined and what permissions are granted.

It seems that in a paranoid moment I removed all users, apart from myself and Administrator, from the security permissions of most of my local drives (except my system and programmes drives). This gave me no problems until I tried to use Speed Disk to defrag, and they don't show up - it seems that both System and Administrator must have access for this prog to work.

I'd like to know a bit more before I go round resetting permissions. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sure the info must be out there somewhere, but it's not an easy phrase to search on, as lots of irrelevant stuff gets thrown up.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SYSTEM account (SP2)

The SYSTEM account doesn't have members, in the normal sense. It is used by the operating system itself. I don't think that you can delete or modify (or even see) this as an ordinary user account. You should be able to use SYSTEM when you are changing the permissions to access files, even though you can't see the SYSTEM account.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart. I wasn't trying to edit the members of this account, just understand how these permissions were granted: in particular, how easy would it be for a piece of malware to convince the system to give it the permissions associated with the System account/group.

In a roundabout way, I'm asking if there's any benefit to removing System from the groups that have access/control to/over a drive, or if I can trust to the fact that only core processes will be allowed into this group by the system. I'd hoped that by understanding a bit more about this group, or finding an analysis of this account, I'd be able to make an informed decision on what to do.

Cheers

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Anything capable of creating a process that runs under the SYSTEM account already has complete control of your computer. I wouldn't worry about it.

StuartR