Thread: Format Painter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format Painter

I work in a law firm (Word 2000/Windows NT 4.0), which means that our documents are edited and revised to within an inch of their lives. What is the general consensus about the use of the Format Painter under those conditions? Thanks.

Lee Morgan

Thanks

Re: Format Painter

It is handy and will cause all sorts of headaches. People need to be drilled in the use of styles - paragraph styles and character styles, both. Custom toolbars with styles are handy. So is training on how to create a new style when you want something just a bit different.

For more on styles, you may want to look at from Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide to Word. This link may be broken, if so, try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kenyonck.addr.com/usersguide/styles.htm> Understanding Styles which is a slightly older version (but still containing more than the version on the Microsoft site).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format Painter

Thanks. The links are very useful. I do push styles and explain to users why they are the most efficient formatting choice to make. However, every time I tell them not to use the Format Painter, their faces drop as if I'd just told them never to call their best friend again. I just wanted to make sure I was on firm ground in telling them not to use it. Thanks again.

Lee Morgan