New Lounger
    Thanks

TOC sorting. (2003)

Hello,
    I have several documents (contracts) which I have created a table of contents for, however, the powers that be would like the contents sorted alphabetically rather than by the traditional page number. Currently the only way I have been able to do this is to copy the TOC then paste it as unformatted text, then sort it. Is there any way that this can be done and still keep it as an updateable TOC?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: TOC sorting. (2003)

Could you insert an index instead of a TOC?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did try that before but had a lot of difficulties with it. Perhaps I'm not as familiar with marking the entries as I could be so I couldn't get it to work. I know I had a definite problem with making sub entries so gave up. Can my existing hierarchy levels be used without having to go through the entire document and remark everything?

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can convert the TOC to plain text by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. You can then sort it the way you want.
    You should only do this when the document is finished, for if you'd need to update the TOC, you'd have to create it anew - once you unlink a field using Ctrl+Shift+F9, there is no way to update it any more.