2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Files to a form (2000)

My boss was wanting me to create a form where the people filling out the form can attach a word or excel file to the form as added material. This attachement is something that is not standard that is why the info on the attachment needs to be attached. The only way I can think to do this is to create a hyperlink. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Files to a form (2000)

In the table supporting the form, you can create an OLE ojject field. This will allow storage of the attachment.
    On the form, add an OLE object. You can then create code that will allow the user to click a button, select the attachment, then store that to the table.
    You can have it dispplay on the form as an icon, when the icon is clicked, the attachment will open.

HTH
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create also a Hyperlink field in a table. Users can use Insert | Hyperlink to populate the field.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've found, the more records/attachments needed, a more generic method is required.
    For each record, if an attachment is required, then more writing of code is needed, so.
    If the attached documents are going to be required commonly, then create a rule.

e.g Record 12345 in a table requires a doc 12345.doc, to be called.

This can be accomplished in code without using hyperlinks.
    You may have more than one doc to accompany the single record !

You can either use a path in a table, or using the file system object to call a document of choice !!

I use "pdf" docs in my project which has proved very successful over the last few years, but, theirs nothing to say you can't use a different doc format to produce many docs to the one record in your database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for everyones advice. I will look over all 3 answers and decide which will work better.