3 Star Lounger
    Texas, USA

Excel Add-ins (2000/2002/2003)

My company produces an Add-In for Excel for creating financial reports and I'm looking for assistance with tracking down how the heck Excel stores info about the Add-in. I know or at least I feel that I know that Excel uses the system registry to track Ad-In info. I say this because I know for a fact that depending on who you are logged in at a computer the configuration for Office and what Add-Ins are setup in Excel will differ from user to user. This is on a regular Windows XP box and not Citrix. I have been able to track down some basic info regarding Excel & the Registry by using Sysinternals Regmon program. For example I know that when I have setup the Add-in in Excel but it is not checked in the list of Add-Ins, Excel will not automatically load the XLA file when Excel is loaded and there is a String value located in 'HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0ExcelAdd In Manager' and that string value is the complete path and filename of the XLA for my companies add-in. What I can't make head nor tails of is how the system tracks Excel Add-In info when the Add-in is in the list of Add-Ins in Excel and is checked/enabled. I have seen some lines within Regmon but I can't find any pattern that makes sense. Excel looks like as if it's just jumping around all over the place.

So what I'm hoping is that someone can provide some insight into this or point me in the right direction to look for this info. My end goal is to come up with something that our end users can use to fix the Add-In setup when they have installed it incorrectly. From what I have read there is no easy way to get rid of an Add-In once you have it setup in Excel. I picked that part up from a Wrox book on Excel VBA.

Any info on this or Add-ins in general would be great.

Thanks to all

Platinum Lounger
    Weert, Limburg, Netherlands

Re: Excel Add-ins (2000/2002/2003)

When an addin is activated in the tools, add-ins list, an entry is added in this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0ExcelO ptions

For each add-in an entry OPEN# is created, # being an index: OPEN, OPEN1, OPEN2, etc.
    Those keys either contain a full pat and filename, or just the filename, in case it lives in the library folder.

Uninstalling an addin is not that hard.
    Check out my pages about creating addins:

Chapter 10 shows how to install/uninstall programmatically.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    Professional Office Developers Association