3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or in the If clause (Access 2000)

The Or condition in my If clause is not working and seems to give no results.My target is to achieve a condition by which either quantity or cartons is null.
    That is to say if quantity is Null but cartons is not, the code should allow the process and not discontinue.
    But this doesnt happen. The code i have written looks only for quantity, and if quantity is null, the message appears, regardless that i have entered cartons.
    Obiisouly my Or in the If condition is not right. Any help ?

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If IsNull(Me.Quantity) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123 Or (Me.cartons) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123 Then
    MsgBox "You must enter either quantity or cartons", vbCritical
    Cancel = True
    DoCmd.GoToControl "productid"
    DoCmd.Beep
    DoCmd.Beep
    ClearForm
    Exit Sub
    End If
    End Sub

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Or in the If clause (Access 2000)

What type of field is cartons? Are you testing whether it is true, or whether it is null? (Have you left out an IsNUll?)

If IsNull(Me.Quantity) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123 Or (Me.cartons) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123 Then

The other thing to help sort out the logic is to put in brackets

If (IsNull(Me.Quantity) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123) Or ((Me.cartons) And Me.Parent!customerid <> 123) Then
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Or in the If clause (Access 2000)

Try

If (IsNull(Me.Quantity) Or IsNull(Me.Cartons)) And Me.Parent!CustomerID <> 123 Then

Note the extra pair of parentheses around IsNull(Me.Quantity) Or IsNull(Me.Cartons). Without brackets, And has precedence above Or. The brackets force the Or to be evaluated before the And here.