Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveDocument.AutoSummarize

I've been playing with the ActiveDocument.AutoSummarize of Word97/SR2 and am not very happy with it. (Of course, I already have a solution that's better than MSoft's ...). Who else has got mud between their toes? Or better yet, in their ears.

1) I can find no description of the algorithm used to determine what's important.
    2) I can find no VBA method to return the string result; it always has to be put in a darn document SOMEWHERE, and that goes against the Range instincts I'm trying to breed.
    3) It sometimes seems to return partial sentences.
    4) There are no meaningful options, such as "return complete paragraphs" or "return complete sentences".
    5) It was built by Henry Ford. You can specify what you want as long as it's a percentage. You can't ask for "summarize this document in 250 words or less.

I'm not complaining. I have a better method, but before I go any further I'd like to see who else has worked on this.

My better method
    ==============

FWIW I use my scheme to ferret out Interesting Words (first used in my Indexer) and then count how many words are in each paragraph. Paragraphs with high scores are the most important.

I'm thinking of enhancing this to allow the user to specify how many paragraphs/sentences to employ ("the five most important pararaphs"), whether to examine only the first sentence of each paragraph (which ought to summarize the paragraph anyway), whether just to sue the first sentence of each paragraph and hope the writer knows what he/she/it is doing and much more.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveDocument.AutoSummarize

It's at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vif.com/users/cgreaves/precis.htm>http://www.vif.com/users/cgreaves/precis.htm</A> if anyone wants to test it out. I haven't written the Style-Count yet; I might do it tomorrow.

There's a Text screen that alows you to append to the ClipBoard so you can get the summary text. I'll be providing some sort of interface that will allow the user to call the procedure and return the string text.