New Lounger
    Thanks

PROTECTED FORMS (Word 2000)

Does anyone know of any way that I can spell-check a protected form please? I would also like to be able to copy part of a paragraph and paste it into a different section. Are there any key commands that will allow me to do this? At the moment, I can only copy from my cursor point to the end of the section, or to the beginning of the section, I don't seem to be able to select only some of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PROTECTED FORMS (Word 2000)

1) See How to enable the spellchecker in a protected document on the Word MVP site. You can download a template containing the code at the end of the article.

2) There should be no problem to copy a part of a paragraph from one unprotected section to another. If you want to copy some text from a protected section, you must unprotect the document first, then copy text in the protected section, finally re-protect the document. Use the button on the Forms toolbar for this, otherwise you'll lose information in form fields. Make sure that you do not copy a section break (this is easiest if you display non-printing characters on screen).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Hans, but we have a lot of engineers here who like to fiddle and play with the design of form templates, so I don't really want to let them loose with the password for protection/unprotection. Is there any way they can copy parts of the document without unprotecting the form first?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is NO way to copy part of a protected section in a document.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JanB on 05-Oct-05 08:56. Added a suggestion)</P>
    <hr>At the moment, I can only copy from my cursor point to the end of the section, or to the beginning of the section, I don't seem to be able to select only some of it.<hr>
    As Hans pointed out, you should be able to select any portion of text in an unprotected section. The fact that you can't indicates to me that maybe the text you want to copy sits in a FormField in a protected section. In that case, you can indeed only select from the cursor to beginning or end of the FormField. You can check if the text is in a FormField by turning on shading of FormFields with the 'a' button on the Forms toolbar.

Added If the text is in a FormField, you can use a two-step proces to copy only part of the text. First copy the whole content of the FormField into an unprotected doc, select the part you want and copy that in the original doc where you want it.