New Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Entire E-Mail (Outlook )

I have to copy my e-mails and journal entries from outllok into a third party company specific application. I have not found a way to copy (Ctrl C) the entire (header - i.e. to, from, subject, date) AND the text of the e-mail or journal entry so that I may then past them into the other app. What I have been doing is scanning the e-mail or journal entry, then OCR, then cut andpaste....but this is a time consuming method.......is there another way of doing this? Thanks!!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Copying Entire E-Mail (Outlook )

Have you tried "File save as" txt file and then insert the txt file in the third party program?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

You can't be the only person who has this problem... is there no automation to aid in the copying? Many applications are integrated with Outlook and can read the message information directly. If this does not yet exist for your application, perhaps check with the publisher or developer to see whether it can be added. Sounds as though the case could be made that the cost would be more than justified!

Thanks

Using the basic instructions in MSKB 127156 you can install a generic text-only printer that will allow you to print to a text file.

It does make a bit of a mess with the header by including some 'non-printable' characters and extra spaces, so is not ideal, but the body of the message - as long as the message is in Plain Text format - seems to come out intact. (You can change the format of the message via Edit > Edit message then Format > Plain Text).

Not a perfect method, but may give you or someone else an idea.

Alternatively, something like e-print would appear to allow you to print to a .doc file - I haven't tried it so don't know if it would work. They do do a free trial though...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The past few daze, I've been trying to find a way to grab all the internet headers.

Due to the $%#^%#% Outlook Security crap, one cannot do this via VB/VBA without getting a security warning message.

Thanks

Use Outlook Redemption. Code is like so if you want an array of headers:

Dim oMsg As Outlook.MailItem, utils As Object, strHeaders() As String
    Set oMsg = ActiveExplorer.Selection(1) ' test with first selected message in current folder
    Set utils = New redemption.MAPIUtils ' or CreateObject("Redemption.MAPIUtils")
    Const PrInternetHeaders = &H7D001E
    strHeaders = Split(utils.HrGetOneProp(oMsg.MAPIOBJECT, PrInternetHeaders), vbCrLf)
    utils.CleanUp ' critical!
    If Not (utils Is Nothing) Then Set utils = Nothing
    If Not (oMsg Is Nothing) Then Set oMsg = Nothing

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I knew about Redemption, but not everybody is willing to install such a critter, so I would not be able to distribute my critter.

Thanks

Does CDO also set off the security alarm? See How to access SMTP headers of a message using CDO (1.x).

Redemption is a shortcut to Extended MAPI. Maybe you will need to go directly to the APIs (see Messaging API (MAPI) SDK Documentation)? I've heard it's a bit complicated, and I haven't ventured there myself. Sue Mosher's OutlookCode site has some links (see MAPI in Outlook/Exchange Development).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ayup, CDO sets it off, even in a "trusted" COM add-in.

I've spent much of the past few daze researching this at slipstick and outlookcode.

In addition, certain hgtings are not supported via VB/VBA but are in C/C++.
    But I saw a statement that a .NET DLL is not considered trusted by outlook, so I cannot use C++ in .NET.

I'm going to try using SendMessage to respond to the warning message.