Thanks

Display Settings (2002)

Well, I just had my first experience with a db being displayed on someone else's machine -- not a pretty picture.

A search on "display settings" in the Lounge reveals some older posts, but none seem very encouraging. One thing I noticed is that using "custom" colors in a form is not a great idea -- should have stuck with the standard ones. Also, screen resolution plays a big role in the way forms (as well as font type and size) appear. Is there any "new" info on how to deal with these issues? I pretty much know nothing about this topic, but would packaging the db as a .exe (with runtime version) make any difference? I wouldn't think so, but had to ask.
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Settings (2002)

1) It's wise to stick to the system colors as much as possible.

For example, if you use the default AutoFormat, you'll notice that the background color for forms is set to -2147483633; this is the color for 3D objects in Windows. If the user changes the color for 3D objects in the Display Properties control panel, all forms using this color will follow the change automatically. It's the user's responsibility to select a color scheme that works for him or her.

If, on the other hand, you use a fixed color such as yellow or red, it may have unexpected effects on someone else's system - the color may clash with the selected color scheme, or coincide with one of the system colors, or cause problems for color blind or otherwise visually challenged people.

You can look up the values for the system colors in the Object Browser:
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Activate the Object Browser (F2)
    - Type systemcolorconstants in the search box and press Enter.
    - Click on a color constant in the list to see its value in the pane at the bottom.

2) You should design forms for the lowest resolution your users will have. There was a discussion about this a while ago; where I work everybody has 1024 x 768 or higher, but some Loungers reported using 800 x 600 (see <post#=517,427>post 517,427</post: >)

3) Using Access Runtime won't make any difference whatsoever.

Thanks

Hans:

1) How true, how true! Thanks for the reference to system colors. I noticed there are "color constants" (only eight of these) and "system color constants" which seem to refer to certain "objects" (for lack of the appropriate term). What is the difference, and how should one consider them when creating forms?

2) Points all well taken. I designed in 1280 X 1024 (32 bit) on my 17". I tried it out on my laptop 1024 X 768 (24 bit) 15" and everything looked "essentially" the same; size and color variations were not profound. I was so discouraged last night, and didn't really have much time, so I didn't even note his settings. His monitor is probably 21" though. I'm waiting to hear back from him on those settings.

3) I can't even imagine anyone (given the option) using 800 X 600, but I guess one would be wise to investigate that first.

Thanks, once again, for all your help!
    Bryan,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The 8 color constants vbRed, vbGreen etc. are fixed colors, as the name indicate.

The 24 system color constants (there are 29 listed in the Object Browser, but there is overlap) are the colors Windows uses for different parts of the screen. For example vbInfoBackground and vbInfoText are the colors used for the background and the text of tooltips. By default, they are a pale yellow and black, but the user can change this in the Appearance tab of the Display Properties control panel. If you create a window with background color equal to vbInfoBackground = -2147483624, it will take on whatever color the user has defined as color for tooltips.

I generally use the default autoformat - it's not exciting, but it should be easily readable for all users.

Thanks

"I generally use the default autoformat - it's not exciting, but it should be easily readable for all users."

I think that's the best advise one can receive concerning this entire issue. I must learn to curb any compulsion for "artistic" expression. Armed with this new knowledge, I return to the coal mines!
    Bryan,