2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Level Security (2003)

I have a db that is on a network drive. I created an .mdw file in the same folder as the db is stored. I have used the wizard to create all the user levels. Now I need to put shortcuts on each of the users desktops pointing to the db. I know in older versions of Access the shortcut had to show the path through .mdw file. What is the best way to distribute to desktops?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Level Security (2003)

Sherri: When you created the User Level Security using the Security Wizard, an option to create the shortcut was given. If not, you'll need something like the following:

(Path 1) "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" (Path 2)"SirOrdersDirector_Order_Latest.mdb" (Path 3)/WRKGRP "SirOrdersSecured.mdw"

Path 1 points to the location of the Access program; Path 2 points to the location of the db; Path 3 points to the location of the new .mdw. Do not include the things in parentheses in the shortcut.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did select to create the shortcut. It puts that shortcut on the desktop of the pc where I created the mdw file. How do I get that same shortcut on each pc? By copying your scenario above on all the other desktops? (I'm not at the pc where I created the original file, sorry) Is there anything from preventing the user from going to the root directory and just opening the db without using the shortcut that runs them through the mdw file?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could zip the shortcut and e-mail the zip file to everyone who needs it, or make the shortcut available in a shared network folder. The user can then copy it to his or her desktop.

If you have secured the database properly, you have taken the default Admin user out of the Admins group and taken away most or all permissions from Admin. If a user opens the database directly, without the secured .mdw file, he/she will be logged in as Admin and not be able to do much.

See WendellB's tutorial The Secrets of Security.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also, I have found in the past, that if a user tries to bypass the secured.mdw or whatever you called it, they will usually get a message stating that the user doesn't have the necessary permissions to use the db, and will not be permitted in.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That depends on the way security has been set up, in particular what permissions the default Admin user has. If all permissions have been taken away from Admin, someone trying to open the database without the secured workgroup file will get an error message. But sometimes you want to leave some basic options available to Admin.