jonathan

Reinstalling Office 2K

I am running Win 98SE and am trying to reinstall O2K. In short, the last time I tried to patch O2kPro, it said an msp was missing. I then went to O2KPro to reinstall it. That failed as it said the msp was missing, so I could neither install or uninstall it.

I then tried to delete the office files and ran Eraser2K and Eraser2ka.

Upon trying to reinstall O2KPro, it still wanted that msp.

I then tried to install a copy of O2KSBE. It installed fine, but now, none of the programs work and when I start up, it tells me to start the setup process again. When I do that, no good ever comes of it and Office seems unable to be either installed or uninstalled.

I have tried RegClean and EasyCleaner to no avail.

All my copies are legit with proper codes and the like.

Any advice (short of reinstalling Windows) would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan

jonathan

Re: Reinstalling Office 2K

Sadly, MSICU did not even show Office on its list of installed products.

I deleted MSOffice folder in Program Files
    I deleted all shortcuts to MSO (CD1 & CD2)
    I ran Eraser2K and Eraser2Ka

When I put MSO2K Pro CD1 in, it starts the installer and then says in a popup

"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

Any help with this would be profoundly appreciated.

MSO2K was also deinstalled at the ad/remove screen.

Wow. This is a toughie.

- Jonathan

dakotahopper

Edited 26 Jun 01 to add URL tags... KB MacKenzie
    Jonathan:
    Since the Eraser utilities did not work, here's what I would try. Download and run Msicu.exe. You can find it at support.microsoft.com <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/4/13.ASP>(Q238413 OFF2000: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility)</A>. Then delete the Microsoft Office folder under Program Files and all O2k shortcuts. Then try to re-install Pro.

If that doesn't work, can you post the exact error message?

dakotahopper

Edited 26 Jun 01 to add URL tags... KB MacKenzie
    Hi Jonathan -
    Since O2k did not show up when you tried to run Msicu.exe, I think you're dealing with a corrupted Windows Installer. You're right - this is a tough one. Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/5/97.ASP>Q236597 OFF2000: Error Message: The Installation Package Could Not Be Opened.</A>

I have some suggestions that involve editing the registry, so I'll keep them at bay for now. You said it was installed previously? I'll check with some fellow "turbonerds" and see if we can't figure something out.
    Marc

jonathan

The Data1.msi says ENG Office Professional LVP Release in the Subject line of the Summary under Properties.

The installer appears to work, so that KB article was not much help.

I have attached the Installer log from the WindowsTemp file. I hope this does not violate board netiquette.

dakotahopper

Hello Jonathan -
    definately a tough one. In my time doing tech support for MS, this is usually one that gets "escalated". And that usually means re-installing Windows. But I have some things to try, and I've helped beat this one before. If this occurred on my machine, here's what I would try next:
    Download Windows Installer 1.50 which you can find at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...releaseid=30333. I think it's relatively new as I've not used anything aside from 1.2. Then it's registry time. Launch Regedit. and browse to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUnins tall. Directly under there you should have the Guid keys (a 25 digit string). Click to find the ones associated with O2K. I'm thinking you may have one for Pro and SBE. Export them to the desktop (you can always double click to restore). Reboot and install Msiinst.exe that you downloaded. (They've even changed the name). Reboot again and try to run setup. If this doesn't do the trick, we can look at where to go next - more tricks up my sleeve.
    Marc

jonathan

Thanks. I will give these a shot tonight. If these don't work, could you let me know your next steps? I have burned a HD backup so that I can reinstall if/when the time comes.

- Jonathan

jonathan

Strangely, there were no keys for O2K CD1 Pro or SBE.
    I am not sure how there could be an invalid istallation source without a corresponding registry key, but . . .

Installer 1.5 appears to be a prerelease version. The zip includes 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.5.

Thanks for your help.

- Jonathan

dakotahopper

I was afraid those keys would be missing. That's why nothing showed up when you ran Msicu.exe. I think there is a corrupted component of the Installer. One question - did anything at all show up when you ran Msicu.exe? I guess I would try running Installer 1.2. It's a long shot though. I feel bad because I wanted to beat this one, and since I've been a civilian for the last 6 months, I think Installer 1.2 is the last trick I can suggest. One resource I miss is the Visual KB, where as MS employees, we could scour the notes from escalated cases and trigger something. But I'm afraid my memory is coming up blank. I just hate to say "reinstall" Windows because so many users have no way to back up thier files, so it's nicer to find a workaround. Sorry I couldn't help, but I wish you luck. I don't know how a person can live without Office.

Scott A

It's probably not a corrupt component of the Installer. What ended up happening is that one of the cached patches (.MSP file) got deleted. Not sure how this happened, but you actually made things worse by running Eraser2k. Eraser is actually intended to be used after uninstalling Office.
    In this case, you weren't even able to uninstall Office so you should have gone directly to the Installer CleanUp Utility (MSICU.exe) to remove the Installer management data for Office, then deleted the ..Program FilesMicrosoft Office folder and the HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0 registry key, and then finally attempted to reinstall Office.

If you'd like to try to correct it without having to reinstall everything, try this:
    1) Search the computer for msizap.exe (should be in the MSICU installation directory).
    2) Once found, run the following command-line:
    <path>msizap.exe T! {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}

Basically MSICU is just a GUI front-end to MSIZap. It tries to make things easier by giving you a listing of the installed Installer products that it found. Sometime, you have to get "down and dirty" and do things the hard way, though.
    These steps should cleanup all the Installer mangement data for Office 2000 Professional and, hopefully, allow you to install it again.

HTH,
    Scott