Lounger
    Thanks

Simple (?) Question About Wrapping (2000 Sp3)

This seems to me like it should be a simple thing, but I can't figure it out. Maybe I'm having one of my ever-more-frequent "Stupider Than Normal" days. Anyway...

A co-worker has a file where the entries in column B are long, text descriptions. These are line wrapped with a combination of the word wrap format setting and internal line/paragraph breaks. It's not data that should be in Excel, but it is, so so there you go. I also noticed that each entry is prefaced by a ', which I though might mean the file had originally been in another format, but she doesn't know, as she did not create the file.

The descriptions can be quite long. The formula bar always shows the full cell content correctly. However, when you look at the cell itself (or when printing the sheet), the text is truncated.

No matter how tall you make the row, the full text does not appear in the cell. It only seems to happen to the longest entries. The number of visible lines does not appear to be consistent: in one cell, I could see the first 14 lines of text, and in another the first 15. Widening the column DOES display more text.

So the dynamic is: increasing row height makes no difference, Excel will not display more lines than are currently visible BUT widening the column increases the amount of visible text. It seems like Excel has "decided" that this cell will show 14 lines of text and no more, and that one will show 15 and no more and so forth.

What I found really odd was that removing hard line breaks reduced the number of visible lines a corresponding amount. In the cell that showed 14 lines of text, I removed two line breaks to make the information one long paragraph. Excel still did not show the entire text value, now limiting the visible lines to 11.

I have attached a sample. This is her text (with dummied up information) placed in a file that was brand new and blank. I copied the text from her cell into three different cells, one for each paragraph, then combined those into a single cell. Same problem. Then I went back to the original and copied it to Word, then pasted each paragraph into the active cell one-by-one, using manual line breaks to separate the paragraphs in the cell.

I really have not even a clue as to what's going on and would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simple (?) Question About Wrapping (2000 Sp3)

A cell can contain up to 32,767 characters. However, only the first 1024 characters will display in the cell.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As you say, it's not data that should be in Excel. Excel is far from WYSIWYG when it comes to wrapping text in a cell. Screen display may be incorrect, and printed output is almost certain to be different from what you see on screen. I don't think there is much you can do about it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

I'm aware of that, but I don't think that's what's happening.

Note that in my OP, I wrote that widening the column increases the number of visible characters - if the issue was the 1024 character limitation, I should get no additional visible characters from increasing width OR height. In my case, it's only the height that seems "stuck".

Additionally, I performed some tests (prior to posting) to see if this was the case. I looked at each cell to see how much was visible, then copied that portion to Word and used its word and character count. One cell in particular - the one showing 14 lines of text - was displaying the first 1,125 characters, exceeding the 1,024 limit.

It's almost like the 1,024 limit actually has a hidden caveat to it. I suspect that Excel will show 1,204 characters PLUS any other characters that happen to be on the same line i.e. Excel will not simply truncate at the 1,024th character, but will continue to the conclusion of the current line, exceeding the 1,024 limit as necessary. This would exaplin why widening the column increases the visible characters but heightening the row does not. That, however, seems really, really bizarre.

Frank