2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

e-mail stationery to print

I just created an e-mail stationery that has mylogo.gif as a background. Cool! One problem: it does not print. I want my client to be able to print the message as if it were a real letter. How to print? or Should I do it differently?

p.s. This is my first try at HTML. Enjoying myself.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: e-mail stationery to print

Hi,

There is an option in MSIE5- Tools, Internet Options, Advanced- scrolling down to print options, "Print background colors and images". The default is unchecked.

But if your client checks then everything he prints will also print the background, and that will not be desirable.

What to you want to achieve with a background image that you can't as and image in the document?

Geoff
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Geoff,
    Printing everything for my clients is not desireable. I am new to HTML. I tried doing this with a picture and after filling in the heading of the message the cursor goes before the picture (logo and coordinates) and then pushes it down. The signature also ends up before the picture. My goal is to have the logo and coordinates on the left while typing a message on the right. All this should print just like a regular letterhead (plus the message heading, but that is OK).
    I tried and tried with pictures but was not successful. Lack of knowledge for sure.
    Please help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What about inserting the elements in a table with no borders? This is an extremely common way of formatting stuff on the web.

You are posting this on a forum for FrontPage, so perhaps you don't need to know the actual HTML to achieve it. But that's OK, I'll put it in anyway. Just in case you don't know.

The table starts and ends with TABLE tags. You can define "border=0" to not have the borders show- but put a border in while you're experimenting, it will help.

Each row starts and ends with TR tags.

Each element within the row starts and ends with TD tags. If an element goes across 2 positions when in other rows there's one, you can use "COLSPAN=2".

There's more to it than that, as you may guess- but that may be enough for what you want.

So you might have something like this to have a logo on the left, text on the right, and a signature on the bottom:

<pre><TABLE>

<TR>
    <TD>[img]mylogo.gif[/img]</td>
    <TD>This is the text of the letter</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD COLSPAN=2>[img]sig.gif[/img]</TD>
    </tr>
    </TABLE>
    </pre>

I'm not 100% sure if that's what you're after, let me know.

Geoff

[/pre]
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As you've discovered, you need to use the image as a background, not picture. You can create a left border image to use as the background, just be aware that smaller is better or you risk upsetting your clients by causing excessive download times.
    You have no control over how it gets printed, that is a client side issue. They may not even use an HTML capable program and will never see your fancy stationary.