Star Lounger
    Thanks

Complex Form Letters (Word 2000 SP3)

I need to send out about 50 job application letters and I'm trying to figure out how to simplify the process. I've got a template and at the moment I'm simply making the needed changes for each letter to make it fit the particular job and it may be that I should just keep doing that. However, since the jobs mostly fall into 5 or 6 distinct categories, I'm wondering if there's a way to put one template on top of another. For example, could I have one template "Basic Job Letter" that contained the basic outline of the text and then open a second template "Job Type A" or "Job Type B" etc. that would modify the text in the basic letter?

In a similar vein, is there any way that I can put several choices of text in the template and then select the one that I want to appear. For example, "I am enclosing X, Y, Z" or "I am enclosing 1, 2, 3" or "I am enclosing "A, B, C". I'd like to write these choices once, in the template, and then when I create a specific letter from the template simply choose which one I want to actually appear.

Many thanks in advance for any help, advice, or pointers to relevant information.

regards,
    Abraham Z.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Complex Form Letters (Word 2000 SP3)

You could create a table in a separate Word document (or in an Excel spreadsheet, or in an Access database).
    - Each row (except the first one) is a set of choices (a record).
    - Each column is a particular choice (a field)
    - The first row contains names for the columns (the field name).
    Save the document (or spreadsheet, or ...)
    You can then perform a mail merge (Tools | Mail Merge...) with your letter as the merge document, and the table document as data source. You can produce a letter for each row in the table, or select a specific record.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Complex Form Letters (Word 2000 SP3)

You could define a style for each set of choices, and an autotext entry for each alternative, then use an { Autotextlist } field at each place in the document where you want to make a choice.

See <!mskb=181438>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 181438<!/mskb> for more information on how to do this.

StuartR