Thread: PowerScan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

PowerScan

Has anyone run into some spyware called PowerScan? A friend called and can't get past bootup because a PowerScan popup appears and she can't close it. I had her bring up Task Manager, but PowerScan didn't appear as an application, and she couldn't recognize anything in the list of processes. I've seen some mention in Google about this, but no specific recommendations on removal. When I get there I'll try booting in Safe Mode and running an anti-spyware program -- that may work.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Re: PowerScan

Try this from Spyware Remove. It apparently comes from the same stable as ISTbar - if that is also an issue, see DoxDesk.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lief,

That looks like a nasty one. I'll give it a try as soon as I can schedule a visit to my friend. Thanks for the pointer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I managed to get into Safe mode and uninstall PowerScan. However, in the normal mode the computer continually spit out various error messages and became totally locked up. I finally had to throw in the towel and send my friend to the nearest professional computer doctor -- it was obviously way beyond my limited abilities to fix.