Thread: USB Drive

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB Drive

I have a Lexar 128MB JumpDrive which I use to transfer large files between my Windows 98SE PC and my Windows XP laptop. When I plug it into the USB port on my laptop Windows XP recognises it immediately. But when I plug it into my WIn98SE PC it is not recognised until I reboot the PC. Is there any way to avoid this hassle and have it recognised immediately?

Administrator
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: USB Drive

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB Drive

It is usually necessary on Windows 98 to install the USB driver from the CD which comes with the USB Flash Drive. I have bought USB Flash Drives from two manufacturers, and their W98(SE) drivers are different and incompatible, so I can really only use the drives from one of them. (And from one manufacturer there are different drivers for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, just to add to the fun).

By Windows XP they managed to get it right, and almost every USB Flash Drive seems to be recognised without problems, and without any additional driver...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...