Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Entering Negative Numbers Using Input Masks (2003)

I'd like the end user to be able to enter data in a text box on the startup form of the attached mdb without having to input the decimal separator every time. The text box must have three characters before the decimal point and two afterwards.
    The input mask definition ###.## serves the purpose but what if the user wants to have the ability to input a negative number?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Entering Negative Numbers Using Input Masks (2003)

The Input Mask in Access has limited functionality. It does not really provide for what you want.

You could set an input mask ####.##, the first character can be used to enter the minus sign. Of course, this will allow the user to enter positive numbers with 4 digits before the decimal separator, so you'd have to check for that in the Before Update event.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...and with the ####.## setting, every time the user starts entering the customary three+two digits, he/she has to press the space bar to move to the second position.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of a solution for that - as I wrote, the Input Mask in Access is limited compared to that in some other applications.