adavis

Password Problem

My Win 98 communication software will not remember by ISP password---the box for this is grayed out when I connect. The Win98 help utility tells me the solution and directs me to change the Windows password to "nothing"---but the appropriate tab doesn't appear in the dialog box. Screenshots are attached. Help!!
    Thanks
    Art Davis

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Problem

You need to install the Client for Microsoft Networks. Go to the Control Panel, Select Network, and then click Add - you will need to browse to the Win98 CD or the location that you installed from on your hard drive.

This will also require a reboot, but once the Client is installed, you will be able to retain your password.
    -Mark

adavis

Mark: Thanks for the reply---but Client for Microsoft Networks is already installed.
    Art

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Using your start menu, navigate to Settings / Control Panel and select the password application. In here, you can change your Windows Password. When making it a "nothing" password, make sure you don't have any characters in the New Password prompt.
    Christopher Baldrey

adavis

Chris: Thanks for the suggestion. It does work, but I had a more basic problem: the change password tab didn't appear when I opened the Passwords utility. I found the answer, though it is pretty complicated. It was at the url <A target="_blank" HREF=http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/registry.html>http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/registry.html</A>
    The cure involves the registry. That seems to be a great site for problems involving the registry. However, thanks a lot for being willing to help. Your answer was the correct one, but I needed a bit of preliminary work to do before I could use it.
    Best,
    Art