2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Data sources (Xp 2003)

Is it possible to create a new data source from the "open Data source" button in the toolbar? The dialog box opens and you have "connect to new data source" and new source button, but these only connect to existing data sources.

I don't want to use the wizard or have to alter the toolbar unless its necessary, but it may main drastic changes to the way I have to train Mail merge this afternoon.

Regards

Michelle

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Data sources (Xp 2003)

The "Connect to new data source" option or the "New source" button only create a new connection (to an existing data file), they do not create a new data file. The Mail Merge Wizard (which you don't want to use) lets you create a new data file; otherwise it's best to create the data file separately, before starting the mail merge. You can create a table in a Word document, or in an Excel worksheet, or a plain text file, for example.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Data sources (Xp 2003)

MIchelle,

One of the confusing things for the transition from 2000 to XP is when you use the option to create a new data source what you are creating in the XP version is going to be an Access database. In previous versions what you were creating was a table in a Word document.

This created some confusion when users upgraded to the XP version of Word. I agree with Hans entirely the data source should be created independantly of the wizard. I have also found that many mail merges are created from existing data so the redundancy of having duplicated data is eliminated, so the good news is that you can use the various data sources listed by Hans by simply making a connection.

Carla