New Lounger
    Thanks

Create a Distribution List (2000)

I would like to create a distribution list, so that when I create a new message and click "To..." I can select the new DL. I seem to be able to create a new DL and select members, but I can't locate the new DL name under any item from the "Show names from the" dropdown list on the "Select Names" dialog. Outlook's Help is a bit cryptic, although I think I've followed all of the steps.

Could someone please provide a simple bullet list of steps to accomplish this? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Create a Distribution List (2000)

I think a DL usually is saved in your Contacts folder. Unless you are using an old Personal Address Book (PAB), in which case it might be in there. And unless you have the powers and privileges to create a DL in the Global Address List (GAL) on the Exchange Server.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I am able to create the DL, I just can't see it in the list of available contacts when I am creating a new message and click the "To:" button. The DL shows up in the Contacts folder, or when I create a folder under my Personal Folders. So, I don't know what part I am missing to get the DL in the list of available names.

Thanks

When you create a new distribution list, you click on the button with the name Select Members. The box that pops up has at the top right hand corner a drop down box called Select Names from the:
    This is where you distribution list should be saving to after you have created a DL, if you go back to say add a name, can you see the DL then?
    HTH
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, that doesn't seem to work. I can create a DL and see it under the Contacts folder. I just can't see it as an option under "Show names from the:" dropdown listbox on the right side of the "Select Names" dialog that appears when I click the "To..." button on the new message screen.

I though it might have been a permissions issue, but then I probably wouldn't have been able to create the DL in the Contacts folder in the first place, correct?

Thanks

Does this information help the problem? My contacts don't appear in the Address Book Help

Assistance > Outlook 2003 > Contacts

Show All
    Applies to
    Microsoft Office Outlook
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thanks much, that was it. Apparently, my machine had not been set up with the Outlook Address Book service...adding it did the trick. Thanks again!