2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't turn off Windows Firewall (SP2)

I Use AVG for virus protection with Zone Alarm. Recently AVG would not complete it's updates. The AVG icon is grayed out on the task bar. I tried all recommendations I could find to solve this, turning off ZA, using Windows firewall, reinstalling AVG. Finally I turned off ZA & Windows Firewall again and installed Sygate Personal Firewall. After that, Windows firewall was on and won't turn of. I even uninstalled Sygate - didn't help. My goal is to have a usable AVG and either ZA or Sygate firewall

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Can't turn off Windows Firewall (SP2)

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yea, Joe, I did check those forums, and jus now removed AVG and reinstalled it as the forum suggested making sure nothing was running and making the choices recommended. I still have a grayed out AVG and Windows firewall running that can't be closed.

Administrator
    Thanks

If any or all of the various vendors have tools to completely eradicate their traces from the registry after an unistall I'd try that.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought I'd try a different A-V program so just installed Avast. After tha was able to turn off Windows firewall- not sure what did it. So I reinstalled Zone Alarm. Avast & ZA have some conflicts which makes it necessary to turn off some ZA features, but now that I'm rid of Windows firewall, I'll remove Avast and install AVG again and see what happens. At least I now have an A-V and a firewall program. I'll report whether I can run AVG & ZA OK again, but that'll have to wait another day.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved. I was able to reinstall AVG & ZA successfully and Windows Firewall is off. There were a couple problems that may have been the cause. During one uinstall of AVG, I got an error message that all components couldn't be uninstalled, so I did the uninstall in Safe Mode. Today when trying to install AVG, it wouldn't go because of a failure in changing language to 67698688 (?). I found that solution in the AVG forum which was to delete the remaining AVG folders in Program Files.

Administrator
    Thanks

Good. Glad you got it resolved.

Joe
    Joe