Results 1 to 2 of 2
2005-10-12, 11:52 #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2002
- Ashmore, Queensland, Australia
- Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
removing a circular reference ()ffice 2003 SP2)
I have managed to create a circular reference in my spreadsheet. The circular reference toolbox comes up and indicates the problem cell, but being a complete novice, I don't know what to do from here. I would greatly appreciate some simple instructions (read "recipe") for actually getting rid of the pesky problem.
With grateful thanks.
2005-10-12, 12:05 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Re: removing a circular reference ()ffice 2003 SP2)
A circular reference can mean that:
1) You have a formula in cell A that refers directly or indirectly to cell B, and the formula in cell B refers back directly or indirectly to cell A. For example, D37 contains the formula =B37+C37, and B37 contains the formula =D37*2.
2) You have a formula in cell A that refers to cell A itself. For example, the formula in D37 is =SUM(D3337) or =SUM(D3340). In both cases, D37 is included in the range to sum.
Excel's status bar will show the cell address of one of the problem cells. Select that cell and look at the formula in the formula bar.
Does the formula refer to the cell itself? If so, you will have to change the formula NOT to refer to or include the cell.
Otherwise, make a note of which cells the formula refers to, then select each of those cells in turn, and look at the formula in the formula bar, to see if you can find one that refers back to the original cell.