Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple sort in Excel

I use Excel in Office 97 and have created a database with it. It contains dates, names, and amounts of money. I can sort or filter the data to a point. However, I want to sort the information by name, have a break at each individual month for each name, and sum the amounts of money for each name for each month. Is this possible with Excel formulas or are there other solutions such as VBA macros?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple sort in Excel

Does Data, Subtotals meet your need? Or Data, Group & Outline, then Data, Subtotals?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like a natural for a Pivot Table. The Pivot Table wizard can be a bit intimidating at first, but between the example in Help and playing with it a bit, you should be able to build what you've described without too much difficulty.

Lounger
    Thanks

Gene O, thank a bunch for the pivot table hint. I knew of its existence but never tried to use it. Sorry i haven't
    replied and thanked you sooner but I had jury duty for a while and my access to the web is through work

Lounger
    Thanks

JohnBF, Thanks for the hint. I haven't tried your solution yet. Sorry it took me so long to thank you. I had jury duty and my access to the net is through work. I tried Gene O's idea of using a pivot table and it worked. I will try your solution next. Again thanks