Thread: DrivSpace

Lounger
    Thanks

DrivSpace

Have any of you heard of a program called DrivSpace?

Every time one of the employees here tries to boot up on a laptop with Win98 he gets an error message that he cannot access the compressed drive.

Any suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DrivSpace

Drivspace was the disk compression program that came with DOS 6.22. It sounds like the Drivspace driver has gotten copied into the root directory of the C: drive on that system. I am assuming that this machine does not really have a compressed drive that is now missing in action.

Look in the root directory of the boot drive for probably hidden files named Drivspace.*. There will likely be two of them. I am streching my memory, but they probably have extensions of .SYS and .INI. Remove or rename those files and reboot.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response Legare. It seems that the c:drive was compressed. The PC will not boot to windows and there is a compressed drive error. Unfortunately, we can't get to anything to remove or rename anything.

Any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If I remember the only way around a messed up compressed drive was to boot to DOS and format the drive.
    Sorry.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OOPS!!! Depending on what the problem is, there were some things that you could do with the parameters in the DRIVSPACE.INI file to sometimes recover. However, I was never an expert on recovering compressed drives and probably would not remember now since it has been a long time since I worked with any. If the data on the drive is valuable and not backed up, you may be able to find someone that can recover some of it for a fee. If you can live without the data, then your best bet is to boot from a DOS diskette and format the drive.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. Wish it could have been better news, but that's the breaks. Sometimes we have to do a little manual labor in the midst of all this technology.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!

ileacy

DRVSPACE.BIN is the program used to support volume compression in Win 9x. Norton Disk Doctor can frequently repair errors in the host volume or the compressed volume.