Thanks

Always create backup (2000/2002)

Is there any way to default to always creating a backup when saving a new workbook? It seems I need to have to go the File > Save As.. option each time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Always create backup (2000/2002)

I assume you meant the "Always create backup" option in Tools | General Options... from the File | Save As ... dialog. Unfortunately, you must activate this setting for each individual workbook.

You could create a workbook with all the settings you prefer, then save it as a template named Book.xlt in your XLSTART folder, and tick "Always create backup" in Tools | General Options... while you are saving it.
    All new workbooks you create will use Book.xlt as model, so "Always create backup" will be on by default.

Thanks

Perfect solution, thank you!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to provide linke to post. It's as easy as <!t>[post#=109885]<!/t> - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>. Also removed superfluous line breaks)

I'm not sure why you want the back-up. My experience with back-ups over writing themselves caused me to seek out another method. FYI, take a look at <post#=109885>post 109885</post#> and the responses to that post.

Thanks

I want the back-up because I, er...., want a back-up of the file.
    If the original gets 'lost', or I simply want to undo all the changes I made since the previous save, I can simply use the back-up file. I'm quite happy that the latest backup overwrites the previous verison, and don't really want more than one.
    (It is no more of an issue than having a spare key for my car. I don't expect to need it, but it's nice to know it's there.)

I'm afraid I don't see any relevance to <post#=109,885>post 109,885</post: > that you refer to - I don't want to save a copy with the date as the filename. (Did either of the replies you received give you what you wanted? - you don't appear to have acknowledged either.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

But if you always create a backup every time you save, and the new backup overwrites the old backup, then the backup is always the same as the last save and therefore you can't use it to undo changes since the last save.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The backup (.xlk) is always one save behind the workbook (.xls). Say you create a workbook Test.xls on Monday. On Tuesday, you modify then save it. The Monday version is saved as Test.xlk, the Tuesday version as Test.xls. On Wednesday, you modify and save again. Now, the Tuesday version is saved as Test.xlk (and the Monday version is lost unless you created a backup elsewhere), and the Wednesday version is saved as Test.xls.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the explaination, I never realized that.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

I think I'm right in saying that with Excel, if you re-save a workbook without making changes, the backup does become a copy, but Word protects you from re-saving until you have made a change, thereby guaranteeing the backup is always the 'last version'.

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

FWIW, I don't use obvious backups.
    If I'm doing something ambitious, which might screw up irreversibly (my style), I alternate saves between filename.xls and filename2.xls
    If I want to preserve the state of play at a particular date, I save it as filenamedatexxxx.xls (and probably zip it).
    That's just my way...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was just informed that I have not responded to the solutions to my question.
    Pardon me...no REALLY, PARDON ME.
    Thanks. I've used combinations of many of these responses successfully.
    Thanks to all.

Thanks

I think I've come across an undesirable side effect.
    Using the Book.xlt method, I get a blank 'Book1' - with the attributes I require - on starting Excel. However, if I then open another workbook, I still have Book1 open, whereas previously I am fairly sure the 'new workbook on starting Excel' disappeared if I opened another.
    Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's because the blank Book1 you now get is not the same as a really blank workbook. To make Excel behave the way you want would require application-level event code; it is possible, but such code is fairly fragile in my experience, so I tend to avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary. How important is this problem for you?

An alternative (but not the way Excel worked originally) is to open Excel without starting a blank workbook, i.e. you must click the New button if you want a blank workbook. This can be achieved by adding /e after the target of the shortcut you use to start Excel.

Thanks

Nothing more than a minor irritation. The e/ will do nicely - thank you!