Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print spooler acceses the internet (XP SP2)

Can anybody tell me why the print spooler needs to access the internet ?
    I use ZoneAlarm as my firewall and have been receiving a message telling me that the print spooler needs to access the internet at different IP adresses always on port 53 (DNS).

The spool sever is located in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 so I'm assuming it's not a trojan or virus. I use Mcafee virus scan and get updates from them a couple of times per week so I'm assuming that if it was a virus, it might have been detected.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print spooler acceses the internet (XP SP2)

Do you have a stand-alone setup or are you on a network?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right now I'm using my computer as stand-alone but I do use a DSL modem so we could almost say that it's networked...

Still, if I was networked, why would it access the net at different IP's (none of the ip adresses ring a bell to me) ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're on a network, you have to add the IP addresses of networked printers and PC's to the trusted zone, otherwise they will be seen as "internet". But I don't know what would cause this message on a stand-alone setup.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are several hits if you trawl through the results of this Google search. One might apply?

John

PS I seem to remember getting this when I first started using this computer, and I stopped the messages simply by setting the Norton Firewall to "always deny access"... Your ZoneAlarm might be similar?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

In Windows Explorer is "Tools | Options | View | Automatically search for network folders and printers" checked? If it is, I think spooler is looking for network printers.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Guess what, finally I checked the following "Tools | Options | View | Automatically search for network folders and printers", and it was checked.
    I unchecked it and hope that it might solve it.

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have an HP printer? I have an HP All-in-one Deskjet & it did the same thing. I think I got rid of it by turning off Printer notifications thru CtrlPanel/Printers & Faxes/File/Server Properties/Advanced tab, but I'm not sure. It's been awhile. I also seem to recall that HP accesses the internet to check for driver & software updates.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Port 53 (DNS) is used when you have the name of a server and you need to look up its address so you can talk to it. The address it tries to connect should always be for one of your default DNS Servers (depending on the exact configuration of your DNS client and the DNS server, it is possible that the first DNS server you talk to is redirecting you to a different one).

This would be quite common if you had a networked printer, or possibly a printer that could be networked.

regards,

StuartR