5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spyware not scanning all users?

(Sorry this might be duplicate post; I prepared one but it seemed to be lost)

I did a Spyware scan (Ad-Aware) yesterday and cleaned some stuff. Then I logged onto the account of one of my kids (on the same system) and repeated the scan. I then found many more Spyware. This showed to me something I had not realized before, which is that even though I was logged on as administrator on my own account, I cannot clean my whole system...

As my kids are not (yet) fully aware of Spyware and other crap; are there ways (are there scanners?) that do scan my whole system (provided I'm an admin, that's OK)??

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks!

PS. I am running also MS Anitspyware but this once seems to suffer from the same problem

PS2. From what I've heard and seen Suites (lile ZoneAlarm) do not filter out all in their scans.too

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spyware not scanning all users?

I think Spybot - Search and Destroy will scan all the files on a hard disk, if asked.

For Ad-aware, have a look at this thread

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips; I'll first try to Tweak Ad-Aware a bit more before I'll consider yet another scanner (like Spybot)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I strongly recommend that you install and use SpyBot regularly. Virtually every article and comparison of spyware products I've read ends up recommending that multiple products be used. Each seems to catch something others miss.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed.. see my first PS in my first topic entry: I run MS AntiSpyware too (but have doubts about all users there as well)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As for Ad-aware, you probably need to check through the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta "SpywareScan -> Scan Options" to see whether you have set/defaulted the "Full system scan" and checked the "Scan drive/folders" "..." option to include all the userid folders under Cocuments and Settings. A visual inspection of the updating filenames seemed to indicate that it went through all the userid files on my computer!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...